Thursday, September 23, 2010

Random Rant :D

I’ll admit: I’m actually a pretty crappy writer. My grammar isn’t spectacular nor will it ever be. I guess that’s why I’m thankful I was at SFU, where the only English degree was essentially Literature and I had some forgiving profs (who evidently enjoyed my ideas). (UBC distinguishes Literature and Grammar. Not sure if they still do, but they did during my days.) I am one of the many who enjoy chatting and messaging, so any chance I get to throw grammar our the door and jump into the interweb vernacular: w00t. I am of the: lol, brb, wtf, ftw, and so on. I mean seriously, when you need to get to the point fast, nothing beats abbreviations and acronyms. Hey, try sending a huge txt from a cell phone, that only has T9 (no QWERTY keyboard) and message size of ~150 characters max. Now that, my friend, is a pain in the ass.

So why do we use them? They sound cool? They’re convenient? Whatever floats your boat. Doesn’t hurt my feelings. Well… That’s a lie. There is one in particular that is exceptionally irritating (although situational): fml. How many times have you seen someone post something somewhere that either starts or ends with fml? I don’t know about you, but I tend to have an “oh for fuck’s sake” moment when I see those. I’m almost inclined NOT to finish reading posts that include fml. Why? What am I supposed to do, pat you on the back or head and tell you: “it’s okay?” “Baby want a cookie?” or “need a diaper change?” I will usually roll my eyes, laugh at your expense, and read something else. I know it’s the Internet and freedom of ideas/speech, blah blah blah. Hell, that’s what I’m doing here, but I really don’t care if your little sibling ate your last twinkie and you’re now depressed. All I know is that you spillled your milk and need your mommy to wipe your bum.

Now, there are genuine fml moments out there. For example, you were in a car accident, idiot behind you wasn't paying attention and rear-ended you, and you’re hurt? You have my sympathy, I wish you well. However, if the reason was: you were speeding, you were talking on your cell phone while driving, or just dicking around: stfu. I could possibly care enough to give an omg, maybe. Ultimately, you fml’d yourself, so therefore I will lmao in your general direction :)

No comments:

Post a Comment